NPC Lootdrops

Ideas, dreams, and feedback.
Kattamaran

NPC Lootdrops

Post by Kattamaran »

Howdy

Since you also state "Dreams" on this forum. Could it be possible to let the bosses drop their entire Loottable, each time you kill them? I mean were casual here ;) . So killing the same named 30 times until getting that one item, specially in something like plain of time, seems a bit tedious. Same with the world bosses.
Maybe im too lazy i dont know. But i also like to gear up alts and this whould help alot.
Rayne

Re: NPC Lootdrops

Post by Rayne »

You mean NPC world bosses would drop EVERYTHING each time? So Kerafyrm would drop 45 items? :shock:

I've been thinking about this though and maybe a token system would work better. Each kill nets you the usual suspects: RNG 3 items, 1 augment, PLUS 1 token from that event ("Beholder Token" that identifies as a "Coin with a beholder's visage", etc).

That token can then be used at a special vendor, where 3 of those tokens (just an example) would allow you to buy/trade for a SPECIFIC item from that event's loot table.

It's just a thought in any case.
Kontao

Post by Kontao »

I like this idea Rayne. I've been in SSRA now for the past week and a half killing XTC just so i can get a Glowing Mithril Ulak and the Harnessed Flame Dirk. I have seen each and every other item from his loot table multiple times, save for those two items. Its getting tedious and, honestly, quite frustrating and boring. If i could just trade in a few tokens for those two items after killing said named a few times, that would be awesome.
PabstObanCD1

Post by PabstObanCD1 »

I like the token idea...

There is the good side of this and the bad side of this though and ya gotta think about it to see if it's a good thing for the server.

The "Boss drops entire loot table" idea.
The good thing is... you might not need to kill the Beholder 50 times to get the sword you want.

The bad thing is... you will get every item you want in the game in a matter of weeks, and you will be giving away so much loot, nobody will want to deal with such a tedious fight and they will just get the loot they want for free from someone else. Then the server population takes a nose dive because everyone will be bling and bored in no time.

The "Boss drops his normal 2 items" and randomly drops a token that can be traded in for the piece of loot you really want.

The good side is... you don't have to kill him 50 times to get the piece of loot you want, maybe only 5-10 times if you are lucky AND the loot doesn't become so common it's all trash.

The bad side is again... once you have everything you want you will get bored and lose interest.

The real question is... do you enjoy the Beholder event? Or any of the harder events? If the answer is "Yes" then killing them 50 ain't no thang... and the loot is just icing on the top. If they aren't fun and this is a game and games are supposed to be fun things you sacrifice your spare time for to enjoy something maybe you just need to find something more enjoyable.
Kattamaran

Post by Kattamaran »

The bad side is again... once you have everything you want you will get bored and lose interest.
You will also get bored and loose interest if you kill the thing 30+ times and don't get what you search for.
PabstObanCD1

Post by PabstObanCD1 »

This is true.

Guess there is a balance that would need to be reached to settle both sides of the arguement.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Throw enough suggestions and surely one of them will stick :lol:

Unfortunately the vendor would require setting up of the appropriate loot tables, not to mention there'd be scripting involved for the token aspect. So I would limit it to the few major events that cause the greatest frustration (I'm looking at you Beholder! No doubt you're looking back with your many-eyed evilness).

What we need to remember with suggestions and ideas is that they don't provide instant gratification (i.e. an endgame event dropping all items). Nobody really wants that extreme, even casuals, and if you do you're better off downloading Akka's repack and summoning your way to glory on a private server. The other thing to remember is that Poru is time-constrained. Ideas that seem easy to implement from the end-user's perspective aren't always so, and this goes doubly because CD is a hobby for Poru.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

PabstObanCD1 wrote:once you have everything you want you will get bored and lose interest.
To be fair most (all?) mmos have this problem and many have dedicated teams that work on content. Modern mmos have housing timesinks and deep community links that keep players engaged when content begins to dwindle. While CD has a community, it's small, ephemeral (players regularly come and go, sometimes returning weeks or months later), and directed at solo play. It isn't likely to create the same attachment to keep you coming back.

There are also some players who are probably closer to hardcore than casual, as well. There will simply never be enough content for these players if they don't find ways to entertain themselves.

How do you maximise existing content while minimising frustrations? The two are almost exclusive. At least with a token system the existing content can be drawn out (giving Poru time to create more) while also allowing players to feel some modicum of progression. It will never be perfect or suited to everyone though.