Getting Started

Client and computer problems go here.
Saerdna

Getting Started

Post by Saerdna »

I attempted the method for getting RoF/RoF2 in the EQEmu forums. Made sure that Steam did not start updating it after the initial download. Copied the folder out and modified it to Casual Dreams specs. It launches EQ, lets me log into the CD login server, but when I try to connect to the game server the screen goes black and the application apparently freezes requiring a Task Manager shut-down.

Did I just get a bad client or outdated information for this method of acquiring the client?

Thanks.
Aniac

Re: Getting Started

Post by Aniac »

The main couple of items I would check are

1. In the eqhost file, for RoF2, when you double click and open it should look like this:

[LoginServer]
Host=login.eqemulator.net:5999

2. After you right click on the eqgame icon in the file, create a short cut. Then right click the shortcut and select properties, which should bring open a graphic window and show you a few of the properties. One of the most important properties is the "Target" field. You will need to add ' patchme' after the exe on the "Target" field. A general example would look like this:

C:\Users\aniac\Downloads\RoF2\eqgame.exe patchme

Other than those two primary things to check, the fact that you mention Steam updating gives me pause for concern. You also should review the other fields on the properties and just make sure thats where your game folder currently resides. I had issues attempting to use the client from Steam as well, and I kept searching on the different eqemu sitesand forums until I found an alternative RoF2 client. Nonetheless, I had plenty of file quirks and issues at different times.

Another good piece of advice I received, once you do get your game folder set up correctly and can log in and play. Copy the entire folder to a backup somewhere. Keep this in case a glitch occurs, or the file updates and then cant connect etc etc etc.

Let us know if you have issues and cannot get the game working...

Aniac
Saerdna

Post by Saerdna »

Thanks for the suggestions.
Clarification on updating on Steam. I disabled update queue while EQ was initially downloading on steam so once it finished downloading it would not try to update EQ unless I attempted to launch the Client. Then I copied out the folder, and made a copy of that folder and that is what I'm working with.

1) I had the login server recommended on your introduction page for Casual Dream's. Then I changed it to the one you recommended for EQEmu.
2) I have patchme as the only modifier to the target line: "D:\Games\EQ\Everquest CD\eqgame.exe" patchme

Once I have logged into the 'server list' and tell it to connect to Casual Dreamer the Screen goes black and the program hangs to the point that the only way to close it is with Task Manager.
Saerdna

Post by Saerdna »

Well, it turns out that it was definitely a bad pull from Steam. I was working on another version and managed to see server population before eqgame.exe crashed. So onto the next experiment. Thank you everyone for putting up with my blather while I get this worked out.
Saerdna

Post by Saerdna »

I managed to get a working client after some headaches. Thanks to everyone who made recommendations.