Lag / Latency Issue?

Client and computer problems go here.
Kontao

Lag / Latency Issue?

Post by Kontao »

Hey Poru!

Been having fun with the server off and on for the past year or so, just wanted to say that off the bat.

My issue has been with the lag recently. It's odd how its working: i can log on with my two accounts and they will have no issue for about the first 45mins or so, and then one of the accounts will start lagging out, while the other will be fine for about 15mins longer, then start experiencing the same issue. If this was an isolated incident, i wouldnt even bring it up. but its happened for the past week now, every time i log on. i cant cast spells, sell loot, open doors, etc without experiencing a lag in gameplay. Ive asked on the server, and theyve said theyre experiencing similar issues. any word on this by chance?

thank you for any help! much appreciated.
poru
Site Admin

Re: Lag / Latency Issue?

Post by poru »

Not everyone is experiencing the lag, I asked around.

I have checked server-side extensively and found no problems.

I have not experienced the lag myself either.

Every time someone says they're lagging in OOC I immediately warp right to them when I am on to see if it is a zone issue.

I have found absolutely nothing to indicate the lag is server related.

I don't doubt that several people are lagging, and I do want to help, but I need your very specific hardware/networking/os/client information to have any chance of helping you.

This is likely driver or router related. It could be your router or a major backbone router having intermittent problems (probably would have been found/fixed by now).

If we can get enough people to list their hardware/networking/os/client info we can start searching for a pattern.

Do try updating your router firmware, video card drivers, operating system, etc. and let us know if you resolve the problem so other folks can sort it out as well.
poru
Site Admin

Re: Lag / Latency Issue?

Post by poru »

Another thought just occurred to me:

Depending on where folks got their client(s), it could be zero-day malware, which would hit everyone at the same time and such a niche target might fly under the radar of the anti-virus crowd.

Probably unlikely, but had to mention.