Warrior dps or usefulness on server

They are always willing to take a pounding.
rdgxray

Warrior dps or usefulness on server

Post by rdgxray »

I read the rant on warrior dps. I wanted to reply on that post but it has been locked. I have a lvl 65 warrior with good gear and 400 AA.
Very capable of surviving a fight and decent dps. The only thing I notice that is bothersome is I tried the spider queen in butcherblock and I could stay alive, healing every 30 secs or maybe 45 secs, but my dps is not sufficient to take her health down in any timely manner. I fought her for 5-10 mins and got to 70%. It was very difficult, I know it supposed to be difficult. A ranger came up and asked to help and while trying to invite him to group, I didn't heal for 15 seconds and died. I ran back and Ranger had the queen to 20% and killed it in less than a minute. He was very nice and gave me loot. My point is are warriors supposed to struggle that much? I had to heal every 30 secs and fight may have take 30 mins or even longer. Even the slightest slip in healing and death is your reward. The ranger killed the spider in 5 mins. He tanked him with no problem. I would rather fight in a group and am happy being the tank, but some events and even time are hard to get people to join you for. Some events are meant to be solo, are these events meant to be almost impossible for warriors? I would love to have a pocket rogue along with me at all times but even that would not solve some of the problems. I don't have any good answers, I checked my dps and it was around 400 dps. Overall pretty happy with warrior, I just wonder if possibly there could be a special warrior weapon quest or something to give us a bit more damage or some other thing that could make us better able to deal with uber tough mobs in a timely manner. For example I see the sword of truth on one vendor, 70 dam 40 delay, that would make a big difference if you could get 1 in primary. Another option might be to give warriors a chance of stunning the enemy for 5 secs. Thanks for giving me a place to put my thoughts. Thanks Poru for the great server and let us know if you need donations or there is anyway we can help keep server up. Ragbuke.
Rayne

Re: Warrior dps or usefulness on server

Post by Rayne »

Edited as you stated you read the Warrior DPS in Rants and Flames: Basically, warriors are tanks, not DPS (and Poru has already made some changes to improve their DPS). Rangers can do incredible dmg (especially with trueshot, which has a 1 hour recycle) but to be able to tank sufficiently they do need to be equipped that way, and with the right AAs. Solo, rangers are also limited to range attacks on select mobs (large mobs, or mobs that can be kited). I have endgame alts of both ranger and warrior, and even with full smokeys, full stability / agility / durability AAs, the ranger isn't nearly as effortless in tanking (and this is with over 16.5k hp buffed on the ranger).

I don't really think anyone wants to see every single class become a master-of-all (I realize that's not your implication, but if we can argue for concessions for warriors, we can argue them for any class), or to water down existing distinctions. EQ was notoriously difficult to balance for a team of dedicated staff, and considering that CD is also a solo server, any hopes of this is a pipedream at minimum. That's not an EQ I would want to play at any rate. As soon as warriors are pimped, those playing knights (pals, sks) will want further DPS changes (they can already use limited poisons, thanks to Poru), and rogues will want the ability to wear plate or tank like warriors (you get the point). Where does it end? Maybe the solution is in future events Poru scripts, that will better take advantage of specific class strengths and weaknesses. We're already seeing this to an extent with the current events on offer.

RE: Sword of Truth.
This weapon was never intended for players and allowing such an OP weapon would diminish the efforts of Poru to implement future events and include loot that is worthwhile for warriors to upgrade to without massive stat / ratio inflation.
rdgxray

Post by rdgxray »

Thanks for replying Rayne. I agree with everything you have said. I have been teaming up with a rogue/chanter/beastlord/wizard and we have been very effective in running time or doing events. I have more fun being in a group and am happy playing the tanking roll. No huge changes are necessary. I think some events are meant for certain classes, like vampire, warriors can not kill her. The spider queen is a total pain for a warrior but with a friend along, much better. Basically while I think warriors could be more powerful, they don't have to be. They fill the role of tank and other classes are happy to group with them. Once again thank you Poru for the great server and the fun events. I look forward to trying other classes in the future. :mrgreen:
rdgxray

Post by rdgxray »

After playing a warrior more they seem to be able to kill all event mobs , most by themselves and they take a similar amount of time compared to other classes to finish them. In the end warriors are just as fun to play as other classes.
Hexis

Post by Hexis »

I have a 65 iksar warrior with about 400aas, 17.5khp 3k ac buffed and I agree other classes can put our way more dps. I use my warrior for a straight tank…. Especially for event mobs because I can have him attack, AOE taunt and then switch to my other toon to fight as I don’t have to heal him as much. But so far I have been able to kill every event mob “except spectre inn oot” solo with him….yeah fights seem to take around 20mins are so “hour with sleeper” but he can’t definitely hold his own.