Adding Port Destinations to Magus NPCs, misc stuff

Ideas, dreams, and feedback.
Heck

Adding Port Destinations to Magus NPCs, misc stuff

Post by Heck »

Hello, Poru

Allow me to recommend adding the following popular and useful destinations to the Magus NPCs scattered about the world-

dreadlands

lavastorm

karana (north mainly, but east and west would also be nice, just not necessary)

iceclad

cobalt

wakening

skyfire (the WIZ and DRU teleport versions are slightly different, which is "safer" for regular travel? would a custom one be preferable to drop players at the "safe spot" next to the Overthere zoneline?)

emeraldjungle

Characters aren't always in guilds, and so are unable to use the (plat sink) teleporters in the guild halls to get some of these "necessary" destinations. Travel shouldn't be a timesink, especially on solo-friendly servers. I recall when #peqzone was allowed and population was higher, I came back to visit and stayed a couple nights before recalling why I actually don't spend much time playing EQ anymore.

- Travel and Rep grinds and timesinks of all varieties
- Plat sinks and plat nerfs, tribute nerfs
- Customizations without Magelo and an Allaclone to reveal character achievements and all the hidden server specific changes
- Undead NPCs (and Elementals and some boss) NPCs fleeing at low health, regardless of level and whether or not they are unsnareable or unrootable
- Living NPCs attacking players of all levels, regardless of level difference ("gray aggro")
- My characters aren't high enough to deal with high level harm-touches or death-touch or summoning, all are abused by NPCs elsewhere

Wouldn't it be neat if certain keys (zone lockout keys typically added to character's keyrings) had a secondary purpose; to transport that player to the safe spot within in that zone? EG the "Trakanon Idol" right clickable, ports players from anywhere in the world to the zone-in in Old Sebilis, maybe add a cast time of over 10 seconds (12 to 15 seems fair) to keep it from being "overly-useful" or exploitable for casting classes. Other possible keys or clickies might include Veeshan's Peak (which is unfortunately a class specific augment right now), the Stone Key to Ghiosk's Palace (which is the proverbial "locked door" in the City of Mist; a CoM port would be awesome for players of all levels), The Key to Jaled Dar's Shade to teleport directly to Dragon Necropolis (needed to obtain one's "Sleeper's Tomb" key), oh, yeah, Sleeper's Tomb Key (ta-da) right clickable epics! (no, no, no), and other destinations of all levels to thrill and wow the few surviving EQ emu players everywhere... Rathyl's Key or Drzelna's Key for Najena... the Master Key for Tower of Frozen Shadow... the main and Master keys Charsis/Howling Stones... some form of travel to Chardok or (preferrably) Chardokb... If the top end game here is PoP then Plane of Time is all there is, barring Fableds... none of the suggested additions cheapen victory over any of those zones or content and allow players to save some time if they chose by working for the keys which are already quested, which already offer certain items and rewards.

Lastly, a three connection per IP address would be nice; anytime my wife or I needs to give something to an alt (on a different account) it interrupts the other's gameplay. I really don't see all the armies of 3 boxers moving here to "ruin everything for everybody" and actually never did see a problem with a higher limit, all the multi-boxers I've ever met have been pretty helpful... making a "real" solo server would be nice, but no one's really gotten it right... it's been awhile since Djeryv or Irrev had servers running, and they did quite a few things right, perhaps you know that.

Sorry to be long winded, but no worries, I probably won't post again. Thanks for the fun and the chance to play on your server.

=)
poru
Site Admin

Re: Adding Port Destinations to Magus NPCs, misc stuff

Post by poru »

I appreciate the input, I really do, but we'll have to agree to disagree on just about everything. I understand your vision of the solo EQ experience and it is just not for me. Also, if you think about it, many of the suggestions solo players make for solo server devs are game issues, not server issues, and fixing them all is beyond what one man is capable of. EQ is an old, imperfect game. Casual Dreams does not exist to be the next amazing MMO that gets everything right. It is an emulation of someone else's old broken game. I will polish Casual Dreams more over time, but probably not in ways you will get excited about. Casual Dreams is very playable, not perfect, but playable. People get their EQ fix once in a while and live their life, so I consider it a massive success.

Check out Akkadius' easy EQ server install. For a few people EQ will run on anything and you can revisit content on your own terms. I can't make Casual Dreams everything to everyone but I encourage everyone to revisit a great game in whatever way they find most fun.

Cheers
Buffer

Re: Adding Port Destinations to Magus NPCs, misc stuff

Post by Buffer »

Also please note that players do not have to be in a guild to enter the Guild Hall. It is set for public domain, thus freely usable by anyone to port.