What does "Casual" mean to you?

Polite and constructive conversation.
Rayne

What does "Casual" mean to you?

Post by Rayne »

I think it would be interesting to hear everyone's definition of "casual", especially Poru's.

For me, as someone who played classic, it will always be seen through the casual/hardcore dichotomy. It does equate to convenience, but only insofar that I can do everything myself (endgame raids, etc).

Others definitely view "casual" as maximising their play time.

"Casual" is such an anti-EQ word though, because everything that was classic goes against the latter definition of casual: camping, grinding, RNG loot, long travel times between destinations.

This isn't a thread about who is right and who is wrong (it's subjective, afterall), it is more about understanding what it means to each of us. It's obvious in many of the suggestions that it holds a slightly different interpretation for all of us.

Share your thoughts if you dare.
PabstObanCD1

Re: What does "Casual" mean to you?

Post by PabstObanCD1 »

I would think of a casual similarly in the context of say "Casual Sex".

-Low expectations
-No commitment
-No strings attached
-No Drama
-No obligation to call the next morning
-Wam, bam, thank you Ma'am/Mister
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Low expectations? I guess I should adhere to the "don't ask, don't tell" philosophy in this instance. :lol:

I like your example and personally agree with that. It's virtually everything "hardcore" isn't.
poru
Site Admin

Post by poru »

Casual Dreams would be best described as casual hardcore.

You can accomplish goals and progress your character in 1-2 hour play sessions (casual).

It takes thought, gear, and many play sessions to max out a character (hardcore).
Jarcon25

Post by Jarcon25 »

Casual, in this instance, I view as more accommodating style of play. The ability to do things without a group or raid. Faster leveling comes into play as well. I cannot say 100% for sure, but the experience seems a lot better than live back in the day. This may have a lot to do with swarm killing to level. It may just be the fact that characters are relatively more powerful and can kill with the speed normally only found in a good group. There are many features I have found even through the Plane of Time that make it easier to answer the phone, use the bathroom or deal with short term interruptions. You can buy crafting materials for elemental armor at a very high price. Adventure points are fairly easily available to get gear upgrades before high end zones.

I love the crafting grind to save cash and doing quests so that's sort of anti casual, that fits my ocd though.