Mob Leashing

Ideas, dreams, and feedback.
Kattamaran

Re: Mob Leashing

Post by Kattamaran »

Amazing how flexibel the emu can be programmed.
Kattamaran

Post by Kattamaran »

Hey Poru

So i played around with it. I made a new Toon, twinked him a tad. This feels so wrong. Have you tryed it your self? The feeling is just not EQish. A twinked toon was always able to gather some mobs and kill them all together and now you loose em left and right.
This is something i disliked in other mmo's, they are all build on the "safe" side.
There is no danger anymore, i can pull too many then simply run away a bit to loose some.

But the main thing really is the feeling. It is weird. :lol:

You should try it without GM Powers, as you whould have on live.
Sunto

Post by Sunto »

To be honest, it feels like WoW. I can just run across the map and the mobs will stop and return. This was one of the great features of EQ vs the other mmorpgs out there. I had to think how i progress in a dungeon. Now i can just run anywhere and loose most mobs on the way.
AAxping is a grind enyway. I always hated it and i actually thought thank god it makes things a bit easyer here. It was still a grind, so it never struck me as a problem. We also xp faster and ar able to solo. It seems to me that it was ballanced.

It is your server and i have alot of fun. I also see a problem with adding content who will NOT make everything else meaningless. And still we need some kind of progression. But hey you ar Poru :D You can do it.
poru
Site Admin

Post by poru »

You guys must have quit playing in Classic.

Mob leashing - when has it been introduced?

There are good reasons every major MMO has leashing:
  • Griefers suck.
  • Realism. Who can chase forever? Kenyans?
  • Zoning just to lose aggro sucks, especially for folks on older machines.
  • Used to be a strain on server hardware.
Kattamaran

Post by Kattamaran »

Yup left while OOW was the new kid on the block.

One thing i dont understand is, you said you dont want a rambo server. But with the leashing it is fine. I still miss the point. Since hardware wasent the problem either.
I mean i can still do it, have to keep the mobs near me. This seem to fix your reason of implementing that?
Of course you dont have to answer that and all .. i already see Rayne stepping in that you dont have to explain your self, its your server and all..
But i just dont get it. Rambo aint ok, Rambo with a little more work is fine, what exactly is the problem ?!
No offence really, i just dont understand it.
Kattamaran

Post by Kattamaran »

This reason here is from you:
Griefers suck.
Realism. Who can chase forever? Kenyans?
Zoning just to lose aggro sucks, especially for folks on older machines.
Used to be a strain on server hardware.
Or is that a copy that comes with your link that you provided?

Griefers: were there any complains?
Ralism: yea right, im killing mobs that are made of an eye, i use magic, i can levitate, i can breath under water..
Zoning: yea, eq is made of zones. i think the major part of zoning isent running from mobs
server strain: as you said, thats a goner
Sunto

Post by Sunto »

poru wrote:You guys must have quit playing in Classic.

Mob leashing - when has it been introduced?

• Griefers suck.
  • Realism. Who can chase forever? Kenyans?
  • Zoning just to lose aggro sucks, especially for folks on older machines.
  • Used to be a strain on server hardware.
Ok, but the last time i played on live (aprox 6 month ago). I did not have a problem to pull any mobs to the pulling spot. Here i have to /walk to not loose them or regrab them every 5 second to bring them to my fighting spot. So i did not even notice the leashing.

It is just annoying for a melee but for pet classes who pull to the pets...
So it is actually easyer to "rambo" thrue the zone without pulling to a save place.

I am just saying it feels wierd. If this is the way you wanna go. I stop arguing. I dont want to make you mad or anything. I can only imagine how hard it is to ballance the server.
poru
Site Admin

Post by poru »

Yeah, it is just about balancing, mostly.

Zone-pulling for exp is unbalanced and is not EQ.

Zone-pullers are the only folks complaining.

I already knew the zone-pullers we're going to hate the change.

I am not angry, I got what I wanted: a more balanced server. But I am happy to answer honest questions if that softens the blow for zone-pullers.

If zone-pulling is the only way for some folks to have fun and they find a new home then more power to them. It is just a game, have fun however you want.

The struggle to balance raid/group/solo content for one-boxing will soldier on.

:)
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Kattamaran wrote:I already see Rayne stepping in that you dont have to explain your self, its your server and all..
I should make it very clear that I only speak for myself (i've been playing here on and off for about a year), and that if I do say anything relating to others, it's taken directly in-context from the forums. I also don't remember getting heavily involved in this debate, so i'm not even sure why i'm being mentioned here (I did make a few comments /ooc the day after leashing was implemented, but that was (mostly) referring to Poru's reply to this thread.
grant

Post by grant »

I finally got a chance to play around with your updates, Poru. While leashing behavior is still a bummer, I think the changes you made are definitely an improvement. I can tell that you're adamant on this issue, so I won't push it anymore. Thanks for taking our feedback and trying to come up with a bit of a compromise.