Attack cap?

Polite and constructive conversation.
PabstObanCD1

Attack cap?

Post by PabstObanCD1 »

I want to say it was at 1891 or some odd number like that, my rangers attack stat stopped going up when I added more attack gear.

Is there an Attack cap?
y2sky2003

Re: Attack cap?

Post by y2sky2003 »

There isn't a hard cap on ATK as a whole, but two factors come into play to limit ATK and its effectiveness:
- There is a worn (read: gear) ATK cap of 250 (which supposedly can be raised with AAs but may be out of our level range on Casual Dreams). Avatar buffs/procs count toward this cap, other spells (ranger predator lines, firefist, grim aura) do not.
- Diminishing returns come into play at certain ATK values, but it depends on mob level and AC. The info seems a bit more fuzzy on this one.

Googling pretty much gave me 5 or 6 similar threads, but the most concise one is here:

https://beastlords.org/?topic=7576.0
PabstObanCD1

Post by PabstObanCD1 »

Bummer, I haven't even begun to augment and tweak gear and I hit the cap easily with the ranger.

I guess I'll have to retool and focus on other supplemental stats like accuracy, strikethrough...

Bummer, that would have been a really fun way to make a ranger shine. Really trying to see if with the right balance, rangers can approach the DPS levels of wizards and Rogues and at a safe distance.
Aniac

Post by Aniac »

I would go for the other effects that could boost DPS....accuracy, combat eff, strike trough (not sure if this works with ranged) etc...I would also max out on the bene's from Tributes.

I am for sure curious what the best combo's are for ranger...lowest delay bow, best quiver available etc...

Aniac
PabstObanCD1

Post by PabstObanCD1 »

I forgot all about bow quivers... know of any?
y2sky2003

Post by y2sky2003 »

Bows do not use damage bonus, so just go for ratio. Range doesn't really come into play since the ones in the endgame have a good range stat. The two endgame bows on CD are:

Bow of the Tempest - PoTimeB: Vallon Zek
Frozen Bow of the Gelidin - Minotaur Legend/Beholder. This puppy crits on my ranger for up to 1400+ normally, 3266 with Trueshot Disc on.

As for quivers: Fleeting Quiver is all we got unless other expansions open up.

Conodar also dual wields Timespinner, but Beholder drops 1h weapons with a much better ratio.

To answer your question on comparative DPS, Pabst, note that I dropped Ranger to #8 in my power rankings article. With more observations, their DPS isn't quite holding up to dedicated spellcasters or pet classes, and that's just going off how the fight "feels", which means the difference could be more stark if you actually parsed.

That said, a ranger is awesome for supplemental DPS when 2-boxing since all you have to do is park, /autofire on, then alt-tab to your other toon (no MQ2 required even). I also really like my ranger/rogue duo for PoTime since the ranger handles a LOT of situations from general tanking, AoE'ing with a Tulwar, then switching to archery DPS against Rallos Zek and Quarm.
PabstObanCD1

Post by PabstObanCD1 »

Thanks for the info, it's much appreciated.

Y2sky, who is your main in game?
y2sky2003

Post by y2sky2003 »

My main is Blixxen Pyroclasm - 65 Magician

Alts:
Conodar Swiftfang - 65 Ranger
Threxx - 65 Warrior
Dracan Stormfire - 65 Rogue

Guess I need to start using a signature since I didn't go the Mister Forum route with my account =)