SOLVED: Freezing up while zoning

Client and computer problems go here.
dalien

SOLVED: Freezing up while zoning

Post by dalien »

Hey all, newbie here.

I started playing here a couple days ago and have been having a blast so far. Unfortunately it seems about 30% of the time I zone somewhere the client freezes up, forcing me to close it via Task Manager. Sometimes if I let it sit for 5-10 minutes it will eventually zone but I'm desynched from the server and can't cast or mem spells, etc.

Most of the time it zones in 2-3 seconds no problem, but I play a druid and zone a lot so this leads to me crashing a lot. I've spent a good amount of time troubleshooting this and so far the only suggestions I've seen are to disable texture caching in options, and playing in windowed mode instead of full screen. Doing these seems to have helped a bit but I'm wondering if there's anything else that could fix this permanently.

Specs if it helps:
i5 quad core cpu
16 GB DDR3 RAM
GeForce GTX 1070
1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Using RoF2 client

Thanks in advance for any suggestions for fixing this.
poru
Site Admin

Re: Freezing up while zoning

Post by poru »

First guess would be a corrupted client file.

Try redownloading the client, from another source if possible.

Second guess is your RAM.

Run a memory test to make sure your hardware is okay.

Let us know how it goes.
dalien

Post by dalien »

Thanks for the reply. I think it's actually fixed now!

I think you're right and it was the client, more specifically the spells file. I'm using the EZServer RoF2 client and I tried downloading the spells file linked in the top post in this forum and it was significantly different than what I had (25mb as opposed to 7mb). I've zoned like 50 times since then with 0 crashes so I'm pretty sure that was the problem (knock on wood!).
poru
Site Admin

Post by poru »

Awesome, I am glad you got it sorted out. :)
Aniac

Post by Aniac »

Dalien, your a dr00d ya?...always knocking on wood or with wood.. :lol:

Ive had similar issues with different clients, probably nearly every issue one could have with clients...I started with Titanium (.../pukes) and Rof2 (awesome) and UF (needed new spell and distr_txt or whatever the file is, and tinkering the settings to reduce lag, slow zoning etc)

Aniac
dalien

Post by dalien »

Yeah, I'm a druid. :)

It was definitely having the wrong spell file that was causing the crashes. Since replacing it with the correct one it's been like a week and a half now and haven't had a single crash. Hopefully this helps if anyone in the future runs into this problem.