Solo Self-Found Challenge Run: Ideas Needed!

Polite and constructive conversation.
sprinklesak

Solo Self-Found Challenge Run: Ideas Needed!

Post by sprinklesak »

Hello Everyone! First off I want to thank Poru for making this awesome server. I've been having a lot of fun and the community has been super friendly.

I've always been a fan of challenge runs, and I decided I wanted to come up with something that would be fun for this server. I'm interested in input from more experienced community members to help design this challenge!

The objective is to design a solo untwinked run that is a fun challenge from start to finish, and encourages you to visit a wide variety of zones and kill lots of bosses. The structure of this challenge requires you to kill certain mobs/bosses before progressing past a certain level. Outside of that you must collect whatever gear/items you feel necessary to succeed. Please provide any suggestions you think would make this challenge more effectively fit the spirit of that objective.

Please note I intend to attempt this challenge with a priest class. I realize with the current mana situation priests may have a significant advantage, but I'm not sure how to address that at this time other than allowing a limited number of cheal pots for non priests. Open to ideas on ways to improve that!

Challenge Rules
  1. You must kill the mob(s) or complete the quest before advancing beyond the level listed below.
  2. All kills must be completed solo, with only self-found gear (untwinked).
  3. No buff bot or external buffs.
  4. No potions (unless self made), Casual Dreams vendor gear, or LDoN augment gear is allowed.
  5. No AAs allowed, except origin and eyes wide open.
  6. Newbie gear that drops in Crescent reach and global augment drops are not allowed.
  7. You may use tinker bags and jboots - for travel, not during kills.
  8. You may break any of these rules to xp grind if you have met the kill requirements. However, you may not collect loot unless following all other rules
Kill List
These mobs must be defeated before advancing beyond the level listed. I am interested in suggestions to adjust the level requirement or add more mobs to the list. At this point I'm interested in as many mobs as people can think of across all eras! If we get too many we can always adjust rules to allow the player to choose 2 or 3 from the list to meet the requirement for a given level.

Level 10 - Emperor Crush

Level 15 - Lord Elgnub (BlackBurrow)

Level 20 - King Xorbb (Beholders)

Level 25 - Mynthi Davissi (Mistmoore)

Level 30 - Battlewizard Unak (Runnyeye)

Level 35 - Xalgoz (Kaesora)

Level 40 - The Kly (Dalnir)

Level 45 - Nagafen, Vox, Innoruuk, Cazic Thule

Level 50 - Phinigel Autropos

Level 51 - Complete Epic

Level 53 - Talendor, Gorenaire

Level 55 - Trakanon, Venril Sathir

Level 60 - Dain Frostreaver, King Tormax, Lord Yelinak, Avatar of War
Last edited by sprinklesak on 19 Jun 2017 17:36, edited 1 time in total.
zeerg89

Re: Solo Self-Found Challenge Run: Ideas Needed!

Post by zeerg89 »

Challenge accepted on Toori Human cleric.

Lugol
Khelbaen

Post by Khelbaen »

Finally a reason for clerics to be rolled on CD!
sprinklesak

Post by sprinklesak »

zeerg89 wrote:Challenge accepted on Toori Human cleric.

Lugol
Good Luck! Thanks for giving this a shot Lugol. I plan to start on an Ogre Shaman tonight. I'll be interested to see how it goes and any feedback will be helpful if kills are too easy or too hard.
Villy

Post by Villy »

This looks really neat - the only thing I can see is for level 45:

Innoruuk, Cazic Thule

Both of those you need to be 46+ to enter Planes for (Hate and Fear respectively) I would potentially bump them to 55-60, Maybe add Tunare in as well

Other than that this looks really fun, I may have to make a new character to do this with :D
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Although it's not what the OP intended, technically you can do Innoruuk pre-46 in Nadox. It wasn't stipulated that it had to be the PoH version =D
sprinklesak

Post by sprinklesak »

Villy wrote:This looks really neat - the only thing I can see is for level 45:

Innoruuk, Cazic Thule

Both of those you need to be 46+ to enter Planes for (Hate and Fear respectively) I would potentially bump them to 55-60, Maybe add Tunare in as well

Other than that this looks really fun, I may have to make a new character to do this with :D
Thanks for this feedback!

Quick update on my progress, I got my Shaman to level 20 and some fights have worked but others were not great choices. I am noticing a trend that makes the lower level challenges fairly uninteresting. Essentially if you are close enough in level (5ish levels it seems) then you can land spells, which makes things extremely easy as they do a ton of damage (partial resists never seem to happen). Beyond that they resist 100% of the time and your only option is a very slow melee battle where you self heal, which is often not challenging but just tedious.

I had one fight that was actually an interesting challenge, that was Lord Sviir (Evil Eye in Beholdesr at Level 15). He did lots of damage quite quickly with spells, plus dispelled and had debuffs which actually made it hard to stay alive. I could still land spells on him and it made for a fairly quick battle but I actually came close to dying.

Otherwise I managed to kill Emperor Crush at level 10 (fight took 10+ minutes). I wasn't able to find Lord Elgnub for 15 so I skipped him. Wasn't able to find King Xorbb so I moved on to Runnyeye. I killed Battlelord Paluk at level 18 or 19, which was also a very long/slow melee fight for 5-10 minutes. Given these findings I may have to rethink this challenge somehow for lower levels. However doing this as a solo self-found run has been fun since it encourages traveling all over to gather gear.

I'll see as I get higher level if fighting bosses changes where I find the battles require more than just a slow tank/self heal strategy.