non eq info cord cutting from cable

Polite and constructive conversation.
Aniac

non eq info cord cutting from cable

Post by Aniac »

Totally random off EQ topic.

I played the cable game the last few years...DirectTv, TWC, and now I am with google fiber.

I dislike the cable companies immensely due to all the hidden fee's and temporary introductory plans which eventually expire and the annoying customer dis-service reps etc etc.

/rude TWC

Thankfully I have GB internet with google now. I also have used heavily a streaming software called Kodi and have it installed on my amazon firestick for watching shows, news, movies and sports. Not to mention there are so many add ons to it, you can get access to all kinds of stuff you will not find elsewhere all in one spot. Want to learn a foreign language...Kodi has options.

The only downsides I have experienced compared to paying for cable are sporting events are sometimes sketchy. MLB is the most difficult to find out of professional sports...Go Royals btw! :D

Aniac
Valanya

Re: non eq info cord cutting from cable

Post by Valanya »

My internet service provider is Bell, never had to complain about the service, but i work for them and i have a 35% discount. Optical fiber, 25m/s.
PabstObanCD1

Post by PabstObanCD1 »

I'm very jealous that you have Google Fiber.

We will likely never see that in my part of the world because of how in bed Comcast and Verizon is With local government.

We do have giga data options in the area but they start around $200 a month (RCN) and $250 (Comcast). Also, the areas these ultra high speed services are sporadically available at best.

Most of the services in our area also have 1 TB monthly limits... which honestly is difficult to hit, but for someone who is cutting the cord combined with 4k streaming... hitting that cap becomes a much easier thing to do.
Kikyo

Post by Kikyo »

Would love google to be out in the Houston area. We do have Consolidated Communications and Fiber through the neighborhood though, the 1 gig is FANTASTIC! We need to check out Kodi, just running HULU, Netflix and a dash of animeland.me in there as well.

1 gig fiber in our area is $75/mo, that price is crazy pabst!
Aniac

Post by Aniac »

Kikyo... I pay about $75 per month for google fiber. What was fun was all the cable companies calling when they figured out Google was coming in, and after they were here. The cable sales rep's would go thru their pitch and mention really fast internet (e.g. 300mbs) and I would chuckle. One cable idiot did not even know what gigabit internet was....probably still doesnt, but she was satisfied with calling it google.

We got lucky in KC with google fiber coming in. I hear many of their next cities are actually going to be wifi based.

I am running Kodi version 16 (jarvis), and have no need to upgrade since for now everything is stable. But if you search for Kodi and you will find one of the primary websites https://www.tvaddons.ag/

I run my setup on a streaming device, amazon firestick which was $45.00. On the very remote chance some virus gets in....system restore, which is easier to do on it than a computer.

Aniac
Kikyo

Post by Kikyo »

Nice,

We are running of 3 Rokus and the kid's PS4. We also have the main computer linked to our Roku if we need to do any webstreaming... Consolidated is good, but still dreaming of Google Fiber, but the larger cities are way down on their list it seems :cry: