Other classes-- How do they Fair

Polite and constructive conversation.
inwkxm

Other classes-- How do they Fair

Post by inwkxm »

As the subject says I am curious how the other classes fair on the server.

I am am true new to server so I have not got a feel for it all but in reading and from some I have met on the server it seems that Rogues and Wizards have an edge or any DPS for that matter. I was just wondering how other classes fair on the server.

I played a Bard on live and really enjoyed it, but I accepted the fact I was never DPS. I just there to make DPS look good :D . My role was always one of Pulling and from the sounds of it that may not be something as needed as it was in live.

It sounds to me almost like a DPS class has a bit of an edge especially when getting more into the Raid encounters solo and I was just not sure how well a Bard or any other support role oriented class would fair on these encounters if they are not able to dish out enough DPS.

I would imagine Beserkers, Monks, Beastlord, Mages, Necromancer, Shaman and Warriors do well too. but just not sure how well SK, Paladins, Enchanters (with no charmed pet) and Clerics would do along with Bards since these are the lower end DPS classes.

I guess my question is what is the communities thoughts do the DPS classes have an edge or can a non-DPS oriented class still fair well once they get to the Raid encounters?

Anyways I really have enjoyed my time so far. Brings back lots of memories of playing and I love the concept of being able to get a quick game in and still feel like you got something accomplished.

Thanks again,

Toban Bloodsong
y2sky2003

Re: Other classes-- How do they Fair

Post by y2sky2003 »

IMHO a Mage is very well balanced for some of the swarm fights. You can work on squeezing your PBAE spells (1050 pointer at level 60) while your pet provides some solid single target DPS. Wizard is the better caster for boss fights due to more powerful single target nukes, higher crit chance, and root.

Most DPS melee has a similar play style (Rogues, Monks, Zerkers). Poisons put a Rogue over the top but the others aren't far enough behind to matter.

The classes that are more challenging to play solo are the classes that sacrifice raw power for utility (all priests, enchanters). Most of the healing and buffing capabilities for individual classes are redundant with potions and buff bots. That said, I don't know specifically what balance changes have been made to compensate for that (Poru could have totally jacked end game shammy and chanter pets through the roof for all I know. I don't know exact numbers).

That said, every class is viable to solo here to 65 and get AAs to beat Quarm. Beyond that it depends on your ability to min/max your gear/tactics/AAs for your class. Example: I learned early on to avoid pet tanking and that I got the best performance by tanking mobs myself while pet does increased damage from the back.

I have been considering an article on "power rankings" for the classes in certain server aspects, but I don't want that to then dissuade folks from playing something nostalgic :)
jaylarr

Post by jaylarr »

For what it's worth, Bards do still bring a lot to the table. AE DoTs, DD Songs, Damage Shield, Overhaste...all these take the stage in a way they didn't on Live. Bard plays well and is still perfectly viable here, but it won't be the same style of play you experienced on Live.

Same goes for Clerics, they still are functional, but with different tools from their toolbox. Reverse damage shields, for example, are much more powerful here than Live.

It sounds cliche, but really, this is the place to play whatever makes you happy. Each class is viable and will find certain areas easier or more difficult than others. Just be sure to be ready to forget some common wisdom from Live when evaluating skills, spells, and weapons!
inwkxm

Post by inwkxm »

With that then it sound like playing a bard and a Rogue might be fun to duo. Been trying to get my son into playing and he is more of big damage type...So Rogue would probably be best for him with me playing the bard and learning a new style of playing.

Thank you for the input will see how it goes and maybe you will see me around. :)

Toban
Aniac

Post by Aniac »

I agree that really every class is playable from a solo perspective.

My main experience on the server has been rogue...Rogue Powa~ , which do very well for DPS and sneaking around. Definitely pick up the poison potions in bazaar if you play one (direct damage and slow are my go to combo since you can load two at a time). Early on you may want the snare poison as well while learning the class / server.

My necro is also very enjoyable as a caster class with pet. With AA's and a few higher end items, my pet is level 65, and can have the NPC shammy buffs on him.

After I played those two, I made an SK, which for a hybrid melee does really well...nice armor class and HP, some good spells in the mix, and a pet as well (but the pet caps out at level 46 I believe). Also with a Coral Hilted sword from Plane of Water, which is AoE...can really lay the swarm smack down. (i.e. pull a train, and burn a lot of targets at once).

Enjoy Casual Dreams ~
As of Feb 6th, 2017:
Aniac-Rogue level 65, 840 AA's
Aniacromancer, Necro level 65, 225 AA's
Drainiac, Druid level 65, 39 AA's
Skaniac, SK level 65, 119 AA's