Beyond Planes of Power?

Polite and constructive conversation.
PabstObanCD1

Beyond Planes of Power?

Post by PabstObanCD1 »

I'm relatively new to the server and pretty unfamiliar with the limitations of EQ private servers.

Just had the question about progression expansions beyond Planes of Power.

Can they happen?
Will they happen?
Any time frame of when they will?

Not that I'm in any hurry, I just came from a server where Velious was the newest expansion... so Luclin and PoP are a breath of fresh air and will keep me plenty busy. Just cuirious as to what there is to look forward beyond today.

Thanks!
poru
Site Admin

Re: Beyond Planes of Power?

Post by poru »

Hi Pabst,
I do have plans for the server.

Mostly additional events of greater complexity that tie into existing storylines.

New zones may become available.

I can't give you a time frame, this is a hobby and I squeeze it into my busy life.

The main limitations of private EQemu servers are human resources; there is no comparison to running a modern game server, like Minecraft or ARK, which requires little IT knowledge. There have been big improvements over the years, such as Akkadius' installers, but if you want a heavily customized server you need to be able to write, modify, and fix code. The eqemu source is in C++, scripting (quests/events) is done in both LUA and Perl, and you're not likely to get far without decent SQL skill, either.

If you know, or are willing to learn, any of those languages then you could be a great help to the EQemu project and/or your favorite server.

Cheers
PabstObanCD1

Post by PabstObanCD1 »

Thanks for all the info.

Looking at private servers, content from Vanila to Velious is pretty common.

A handful have Luclin/LDON/LoY/PoP.

Few have some GoD and OoW, and what is out there seems to be painstakingly recreated from players memory.

Is the reason for this due to how the code changed after a particular expansion and it isn't possible to glean from the installation files the events/scripts because it was all on the live server side at some point in the progression?

Or is it more that it's all painstakingly recreated from scratch outside of the graphics and due to the work force and difficulty that's just how far along the recreation process is?

Really just asking out of curiosity.
poru
Site Admin

Post by poru »

PabstObanCD1 wrote:... painstakingly recreated from players memory.

... it was all on the live server side...

...it's all painstakingly recreated from scratch outside of the graphics and due to the work force and difficulty that's just how far along the recreation process is
^ That's it in a nutshell.

Everything server-side has been recreated by players.