Shaman on Casual Dreams

They slow things down and enhance them.
PabstObanCD1

Shaman on Casual Dreams

Post by PabstObanCD1 »

Greetings.

I'm new to to the server and I played a Shaman primarily from 1999 up till around GoD but was never in an "End game content" guild. We eventually got there and did it but after the curve.

That being said, I was hoping to get some info on people that put time in here playing a shaman. Some of the previous posts were helpful but before I sink a a serious amount of time into a shaman I wanted to know where my roadblocks would be... either in solo play or particular game content.

Knowing that there are lots of potions and buff bots (unless I'm misunderstanding the terminology) I'm wondering if a primary shaman is the way to go.

I've also played warriors, sk's, necromancers and monks I always loved the odds changing style of a shaman.

Anyway, thanks in advance for the advice and direction.

-Pabst
poru
Site Admin

Re: Shaman on Casual Dreams

Post by poru »

I've taken a shaman through Time here.

It went as fast as my wizard, but was less stressful thanks to ae slow and heal over time spells.

I tanked everything with the Shaman and used melee, pet, and rain spells for DPS.

The Shaman proc buff really tears stuff up and there are lots of incredible priest melee weapons in PoP.

I always give the pet a couple high proc dmg weapons and any crap armor I can find. A run through VP, VT, or NToV is usually enough to gear up your pet a couple times, depending on luck.

I didn't find any roadblocks.

I played a Shaman and Wizard on live.
y2sky2003

Post by y2sky2003 »

Poru's assessment is pretty solid. I play a Mage main and have a Shaman alt waiting in the wings. My playstyle is basically what Poru said, except I have PBAE damage and pet toys instead of slow and proc buffs.

The pet classes particularly have an advantage against Quarm, where your toon will tank and take all of the aggro from the adds that proc a slow while your pet beats on him unabated. Malo/Mala is also a huge DPS increase for your boss fights, doubly so if you're boxing or raiding with a friend.

The only thing that roadblocks me sometimes is melee envy, especially if you watch a Rogue or a Monk tear down a single target. Rolling one of those as an alt can help to scratch the itch once you're established, but a strong utility caster is fantastic for a main and getting started. I find the multi-dimensional playstyle to be way more fun for the long haul.

I really don't see you being disappointed with a Shaman here, despite the redundancy with potions and buffbots.
PabstObanCD1

Post by PabstObanCD1 »

Some clarifications and some questions (as a new player in the server and a live shaman that never did end game time)...

Clarifications:

What is this Shaman proc buff you mentioned?
What is PBAE damage?

Questions:

Path to 65 and AA's beyond that... I'm at 35, where would be best/fastest path to XP grind?

What is the Target gear to focus on that makes the most difference as a Shaman? For instance... is there a good soloing raid content weapon I should defer to or is there a great solo XP weapon or augment I should start focusing on now and where might I find these things?

Keys/Flagging... I remember hearing/reading that Time was an instance and also required no flagging... but what about other raid content... VP, VT and other keyed accesses within raiding zones... are they still required?

Thanks again for the information in advance... I'm really enjoying this server and I'm in the works of digging up my EQ friends from over the years to join in the fun.
y2sky2003

Post by y2sky2003 »

PBAE = Point Blank Area Effect. These are lines of direct damage spells that Wizards, Mages, Clerics, and Druids receive to varying degrees. They hit everything in a small radius around the character regardless of target. They are particularly powerful on this server due to the fact that they are the only damage spells that can hit more than four targets.

At 35, you're at the point where you can take the mobs in Gulf of Gunthak and Dulak's Harbor with ease. People like these since they're jam-packed with mobs compared to the other zones. That said, if you have a favorite place from Live, then go for it! There isn't any discrepancy between the amount of experience you'll receive between zones.

All PoP character flags are unnecessary for zone access. Once you can get into Plane of Tranquility at 46, you can access the planes. Time only requires Level 65 for access. I'm not sure if the other level requirements from Live are in place though.

Every other keyed zone from Live is unlocked (such as VT).

For gear, you really want to focus on HP/AC, resists, and melee stats (STR/STA/AGI/DEX). With the fast mana regen, mana pool is pretty much irrelevant. For weapons, you want something with a good ratio that has a damage proc. The Casual Dreams vendors have a staff Shamans can use that procs the 220 point poison DD, for example. There's also a lot of good proc augments that drop throughout the world. Finally, damage shield augments and potions are your friend for fast leveling.

Hope all this helps, make sure to read Aniac's general guide that's stickied on here as well!
Terses

Post by Terses »

Fun seeing you in KC last night Pabst!

Good to see the answer on the keys thing :D Guess I wont waste any more time on key quests, though crawling... ok training... through Kaesora and KC was fun :lol: