Old Sebilis - Balancing a couple of procced abilities

Ideas, dreams, and feedback.
crazedhobo

Old Sebilis - Balancing a couple of procced abilities

Post by crazedhobo »

Hello,

Just wanted to start by saying thank you for hosting this server! I only started a few days ago but I've been having a blast going back through all this old content (so many memories!).

So, on to my concern. I was clearing my way though Old Sebilis yesterday, generally having no issues whatsoever. Man I missed that place! Decided to try 2 different "challenging" npcs: Trakanon and Echo of Sebilis. Fabled Tolapumj was up as well, but I was only 52 with approx 5500 hp at the time, not even going there.

At any rate, fighting Echo of Sebilis began like the rest of the mobs, the occasional hit or two for 15-50 dmg, a couple of flurry attacks, but nothing too bad. Then out of nowhere, a 1500 dmg non-melee hit on me, then again, and again! I assume it's some kind of melee proc because there was no cast time as best I could see. Now, I'm not above a challenge (I wouldn't be here otherwise), but it's just so out of the blue and unexpected. I did manage to scrape by and kill it, but it really could have gone either way depending on RNG.

Ran into a similar issue with Trakanon, I expected the poison dot, expected the random ports into the shroom caverns, expected the extra rampage hits...but out of nowhere, a "Strikes you" for 1200 randomly pops up when fighting him. With 5500ish hp, this is a quarter of my health. I ended up gating out after eating 3 of these where otherwise the fight would have been pretty even. Comparatively the other Kunark dragons Gorenaire and Severilious were trivial fights.

Now, I don't mind damage procs, they're part of the game. But when melee has been de-tuned to make content solo-able, but the damage procs are left vanilla, you end up with a weird and slightly unpleasant experience.

My suggestion would be to de-tune these abilities, on the order of 50% or so, preferably 60-70%. Still devastating, but not "what just happened?" level. Adjusting the Echo of Sebilis would be pretty straightforward, but the Trakanon ability is probably scripted, as well as shared by other bosses, so it would be harder to de-tune.

Thank you for your consideration!

-Alex the crazy hobo
crazedhobo

Re: Old Sebilis - Balancing a couple of procced abilities

Post by crazedhobo »

You can disregard this suggestion. While I would still like to see these couple of abilities rebalanced to be in line with the rest of the fight, it is not high priority anymore. I was not familiar enough with this server's setup at the time to be aware of the CH pots on the Casual Dreams vendors, which would have trivialized the encounters completely.