How to /ignore another player

Announcements and rules.
Rayne

How to /ignore another player

Post by Rayne »

Everyone has bad days, or moments where they've misunderstood something. From this arguments can (and do) arise and unpleasant situations unfold. Your first recourse when it comes to unwanted and unpleasant /tells is to use the "/ignore <name>" feature.

To remove a name from /ignore, simply type the same command again.

Being a small community server, it's obviously best if you can work the situation out with the other player(s), but sometimes that's impossible until the situation has cooled, so judicious (temporary) use of /ignore is great for this. Lately, i've encountered a few situations where people are surprised to know about this command, so there you have it.

Also consider looking through the available commands via "/help" and "/help normal"
Elspeth

Re: How to /ignore another player

Post by Elspeth »

The only problem with the /ignore filter is that when the general chat channels / in-game mail service service goes down, so does the /ignore filter. Sad, but true. /Ooc isn't controlled by the chat channels, because in game, /ooc isn't serverwide, it's only a zone chat feature. If you have the shortcut bar ( alt + w ) enabled, and the mailbox / envelope icon is working, /ignore works. If the envelope icon is red, /ignore isn't functional.
Rayne

Re: How to /ignore another player

Post by Rayne »

You're right that it's limited, but i'm hopeful that it's "Good Enough™" as a temporary solution (it would be regrettable if a small community needed permanent use of /ignore). Most of the incidents I was privy to were hot-headed and just needed enough time for things to cool. This should work fine for that.

As a side note, i'm pretty sure the earliest clients, especially during classic (when ingame mail didn't exist) used client-side text files to maintain ignore and block lists. I could quite easily be getting confused between other games of that approximate era though (UO, GW, etc).

PS: Good to see you're still about Elspeth =)