stuns, fears and DD

Negativity.
Avanju

stuns, fears and DD

Post by Avanju »

I'm trying to do a chronological era-friendly playthrough as a monk and stuns, fears, and mobs that nuke for 2k in classic are making this impossible. Any tips?
poru
Site Admin

Re: stuns, fears and DD

Post by poru »

Corpse runs sound pretty classic to me! :lol:

I played a shaman back-in-the-day and was constantly rebuffing in groups/raids because of dispells and deaths.

That said, if you provide mob/encounter/zone specifics we can fine-tune the balance.

Check out GamParse if haven't, it can provide a level of insight hard to obtain otherwise.
Avanju

Post by Avanju »

Oh yes, my human paladin had plenty of corpse runs, and in those days deaths actually set you back days in terms of exp loss, not a mere 5 minutes haha.

It would be great if you are willing to take a balance pass. FYI in terms of gear, I am using only gear found in classic (mostly I stuck to the monk gear guide found on the P99 wiki), plus vendor healing pots, cure pots and starter jboots. Bare fists like a real classic monk.

Mostly it's the planes. Vox, naggy and phinny seemed well-tuned as they were somewhat difficult at level 46 and until I was better geared, and then they became much easier with gear and a few more levels.

Plane of fear trash mobs are mostly fine. There's some close calls if you get a gorgon + adds because that gorgon stun is nasty. Terror, Dread and Fright could use a pass. One of them was a bit tricky, but doable (Terror I think?) Dread (I think) chain stunned (looong stuns) and nuked for 2k, so I couldn't do it. I can't remember what was wrong with Fright, but I wasn't able to down him either. I didn't even get close to CT. he downed me very quick. In terms of HP across the board (can't speak regarding CT cuz i didn't get him past 99%), it seems well tuned, so you get that "feel" of fighting raid mobs, without fights taking forever for no reason. I also think armor drop rates could use a pass. Although the drop rates might be true to classic, I cleared all the shiverbacks in three separate sessions (long respawns) and didn't get a single piece of monk armor, so it's kind of wasted content.

Plane of hate trash mobs are similar to those in fear, they seem well-balanced in terms of fight duration. The hand of maestro had a ton of hp, which seemed to make the fight drag on unnecessarily. Maestro himself was difficult in terms of balancing healing yourself with pots versus dishing out damage (maybe a bit too much dps on him), but the real sticking point was his HP pool. I gave up after 10 minutes or so having only gotten him to 95%. Similar to CT, Inny was impossible.

I realize CT and Inny might be in their "post revamp" forms, so it's no big deal if they are not supposed to be defeated with only classic gear, I think it would depend on which loot tables they bear (classic or post revamp).

Plane of sky mobs seem to have slightly larger HP pools overall. Islands 1 and 2 were ok, but the difficulty really seemed to ramp up after that. I gave up after getting hit with a 45 second fear on the third island, so I didn't get to see much past that. Ideally, Plane of sky should be completely soloable with only classic gear (and, no buffs of course), because to my knowledge, it never went through a revamp like Fear and Hate did.

If I can help test anything, let me know!

Thank you!
daxtxad

Post by daxtxad »

I tried plane of fear and i could kill everything except Fright, because of the long stun he has. I tried CT and i had no problems with him until Fright came to help. This was at level 53 i think, with a very twinked monk. I will try again at 65.
Casualtank

Post by Casualtank »

daxtxad wrote: 08 Jun 2018 02:16 I tried plane of fear and i could kill everything except Fright, because of the long stun he has. I tried CT and i had no problems with him until Fright came to help. This was at level 53 i think, with a very twinked monk. I will try again at 65.
He can still stun lock rather well at 65. It's best to kill him and his two guards before you tackle CT and the subsequent PoF train.
Avanju

Post by Avanju »

See I locked at 51 (all xp >AA) and I'm using era-appropriate gear only. Gives that nostalgia feel along with the challenge. Problem is I just don't think it's feasible at the moment which kinda defeats the point. I also played to the mid 40's without heal pots as I felt that was cheating a bit, but I eventually gave in when I started getting nuked for 700.